Recently Big Sky announced a new service for rural communities: Access to the Internet via an 800 number for $10/month&$6/hour (28.88pp)using Netscape via firstname.lastname@example.org. A pioneer in telecollaboration, this site offers Internet tutorials, lists of mentors and key sites, and collections of lessons (eg. 25 in geography).
Actually many states with smaller populations, concentrated in small cities or rural areas, offer more advanced telecollaboration capabilities than the so-called sophisticated states. This site is a good exemplar of such accomplishments.
Other Areas To Check Out...
• Assistance for Achieving Connectivity
• Example Virtual Libraries
• Hardware for the Internet
• Major US and North American Federal Organizations: Environment
• National, State and Regional Networks (sample)
• PBS and NPR Resources
• Research Resources for Teachers and Librarians
• Technology Planning: Regional, State and Local Collections
• Virtual High School
• Virtual Schools Sampler