Specialized Search Engines
Scientific Search Engines contains more subject topics than science. The humanities, media and regions are just a few of the other organizing rubrics.
Where To Do Research does display advertisements, quite a lot actually. This drawback, however, is mitigated by the breadth of popular topics.
The Learning Resource Metadata Initiative proposes a set of tags for sifting TMI--too much information. This system would facilitate personalized instruction. The tags are age/grade level, standards alignment, quality/appropriateness, topic/category and resource use/context. This project is an important step but does not take into account 21st century tools.
Categories for educational resources to streamline search tasks.
As the size of the Web has exploded, these specialized tools cut the search process back down to human size.
Other Areas To Check Out...
• Compilations of Lesson Plans
• Education & Curriculum Groups
• Guided Research
• High Performance Standards for Applied Learning
• Major US and North American Federal Organizations: Environment
• On-Line Collections - Universities and Public Institutions
• PBS and NPR Resources
• Remote-Sensing Investigations
• Research Resources for Teachers and Librarians
• Teaching Writing on the Web