Specialized Search Engines
Scientific Search Engines contains more subject topics than science. The humanities, media and regions are just a few of the other organizing rubrics.
Where To Do Research does display advertisements, quite a lot actually. This drawback, however, is mitigated by the breadth of popular topics.
The Learning Resource Metadata Initiative proposes a set of tags for sifting TMI--too much information. This system would facilitate personalized instruction. The tags are age/grade level, standards alignment, quality/appropriateness, topic/category and resource use/context. This project is an important step but does not take into account 21st century tools.
Categories for educational resources to streamline search tasks.
As the size of the Web has exploded, these specialized tools cut the search process back down to human size.
Other Areas To Check Out...
• Computing & Internet Groups
• Education & Curriculum Groups
• Guided Research
• High Performance Standards for Applied Learning
• Off Planet Field Trips
• On-Line Collections - Universities and Public Institutions
• Other National Resources
• PBS and NPR Resources
• Research Resources for Teachers and Librarians
• Teaching Writing on the Web