Math Models in Nature
Using data from the National Climate Data Center, students manipulate and trace changes in the bee population via simple math modeling techniques. Such models are being used increasingly in many sub-fields of biology. This site provides a familiar content to introduce these techniques and sensitizes students to systemic interactions.Since most folks are familiar with bees, applying math models is not so far-fetched.
By building upon extant online databases--heretofore unavailable to students--students acquire a set of advanced knowledge (data integration and application)--in this particular case in a context, ie. bees, which would be hard to tackle in the real world.
Other Areas To Check Out...
• Biology Studies Groups
• Integrating Math and the Arts
• International Data Sources Sampler
• Linking Environment and Physics
• National Initiatives: School Exemplars
• New Visualization Tools
• Remote-Sensing Investigations
• Rivers, Lakes, Seas, Bays, Ponds and Estuaries
• Science Teaching
• Understanding Decentralized, Dynamical Systems and Environments