Native and Minority Cultures
Rather than assuming one-size-fits-all, acknowledging and accepting our students' cultural diversity can make for a more comfortable classroom environment and lead to learning opportunities as we explore cultures and their challenges.
PREL is an independent, nonprofit organization with staff in Hawai'i, American Sāmoa, the Mariana Islands, Guam, and much of the rest of the Pacific. PREL works throughout school systems, from classroom to administration, and collaborate routinely with governments, communities, and businesses to transform schooling and promote dynamic reciprocal learning communities built on strong social and cultural capital. They provide programs, services, and products to promote educational excellence.
National Hispanic Heritage Month runs from September 15 to October 15. It recognizes the contributions made by Hispanic and Latino Americans to the United States and celebrate their heritage and culture.
This Bluegrass Community College is an example of resources that may be available thru your local or regional colleges. Check their web sites for cultural resources specific to your area.
The American Indian Library Association has compiled a list of resources for the native American communities. Everything from American Indians in Children's Literature and FCC Internet Tribal Initiatives to Native Health Database and Oyate (an excellent source for children's books).
Andre Cramblit shares his reflections after having worked for nearly 30 years in American Indian education at all levels, with the aim of informing supplemental American Indian Education programs and educators working with Native students.
The rules include:
- Do not waste your classroom money on tutoring.
- Many native students have a visual learning style.
- Many American Indian students will have a visual learning disorder.
- which creates problems when you have a visual learning style
- Work to empower parents to be an active participant in the education of their children.
- The power of collaborations cannot be under estimated.
Related Topics ...
Other Areas To Check Out...
• An Evaluation Checklist for Educational Web Sites
• Art and Nature
• Computer Recycling
• Every Student Succeeds Act
• Finding A Partner for Computer-Assisted Collaboration
• Foundations & Government
• Historical Photography
• Major US and North American Federal Organizations: Environment
• Technology in Learning